How to Sleep Better if You Are a Light Sleeper
Do you find yourself restlessly tossing and turning in bed, unable to settle down? If so, you may be a light sleeper. Many people struggle with sleep issues, and getting the rest they need can be challenging.
It is essential to be aware of what is waking you up and figure out what you can do to sleep more soundly through the night so that you can get a whole night of sleep.
What Does it Mean to be a Light Sleeper?
There are two types of sleepers: those who can sleep deeply and those whose sleep is easily interrupted due to noise and other factors. The latter are known as light sleepers.
A light sleeper can easily be awakened by sounds, light, noise and movements around him. Heavy sleepers, however, seem to have no problem sleeping through the noise and other disturbances.
Some researchers believe this condition is due to genetics, while others theorise that certain disorders may be the cause. One view is that light sleepers may be more sensitive to their environment than heavy sleepers, leading them to be more likely to be abruptly awoken by noise or other stimuli.
Another theory is that light sleepers may have difficulty regulating their body temperature. This can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep for long periods. Finally, some experts also believe that light sleepers may have different brain chemistry than heavy sleepers.
So if you're a light sleeper, how can you make changes to your nightly routine to help you sleep better? Here are a few things you can do to try and get a better night's sleep:
Have a Good Bedtime Routine
Good sleep hygiene can help improve your quality of sleep, and a big part of that is creating a reliable bedtime routine to get your body ready for a night’s rest. Incorporating this daily routine can help light sleepers improve their sleep quality, although what needs to be included in the routine will vary from person to person. Some suggestions include:
- Establish a regular sleep schedule. Create and stick to a consistent weeknight and weekend bedtime routine. Consistently maintaining a regular bedtime and wake time assists the body in maintaining a healthy sleep cycle. Limit naps during the day, and use smartphone or smartwatch apps to remind you it’s time to turn in.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Reading a book or taking a relaxing bath can help transition your mind and body from daytime busyness to relaxation mode. Keep your bedroom dark, calm, and quiet, and limit its use to sleep.
- Keep distractions out of the bedroom. TVs, smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices emit blue light that can disrupt your body's natural sleep cycle. They also present distractions that can keep you up late at night with your favourite games, TV shows, or TV dramas.
Reduce Your Stress
If stress keeps you awake as a light sleeper, relaxing techniques might assist in reducing your tension and improving your quality of sleep. Yoga and meditation are common techniques to include in a relaxation routine, as well as progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercises, and aromatherapy.
Get the Best Mattress
Getting the right mattress is key to achieving a good night’s sleep. However finding the right mattress for a light sleeper can be challenging. There are many factors to consider, such as budget, firmness preference, and sleep position.
Zinus understands that finding the perfect mattress can be a daunting task. That's why we have a list of the best and most affordable mattresses perfect for light sleepers like you:
- Zinus 25cm Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress (10")
- Zinus 25cm iCoil® Hybrid 2.0 “Cool” Series Smooth Top Mattress (10”)
- Zinus 7 Inch High Density Foam Mattress
- Zinus 30cm Hybrid Spring Mattress (12")
- Zinus 30cm Euro Top Latex Hybrid ‘Cool’ Spring Mattress with Encasement (12”)
We will take your mattress shopping experience to another level with our wide selection of affordable mattresses in Singapore. So what are you waiting for? Browse our catalogue online now for more information about our cooling mattresses and latex mattresses.
We also have a free 100-night mattress trial so you can try out our mattresses at home in total comfort. Don’t like the way it feels? Fret not because you can simply return it within 100 days of receiving it for a refund (with proof of purchase and Return Trip charge).